Smoked Salmon Profiteroles
1 hour 25 mins
1 pack Latitude 45 Cold Smoked Salmon
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 large eggs
For the mousse
- 2 avocados
- 3 pinches salt
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 pinch cayenne
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, use medium-high heat to bring the water, butter, sugar, and salt to a gentle boil. Stir until the butter is completely melted.
- Add all the flour and baking powder at once and keep stirring until all the flour is incorporated. The dough is ready when it becomes a single mass that pulls away from the sides of the pot.
- Remove from stovetop and move the dough into a mixing bowl.
- Using a mixer, beat the dough on medium speed to cool it off a bit.
- Add the 3 eggs, one-at-a-time, pausing the mixer often to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Now the dough should be a thick, smooth, and glossy paste.
- Form 24 golf ball-size mounds; making them tall and round. Place them on the lined baking sheet, about 2-inches apart.
- Place the sheets to bake for 10 minutes.
- Decrease the heat to 350 degrees F. Cook for 25 more minutes.
- Do not open the oven door or remove the sheets until the puffs are firm to the touch.
- The profiteroles should be golden brown and well-risen.
- Allow the shells to cool before filling.
- Put both pitted and peeled avocados into a food processor, and add three pinches of salt. Pulse the avocado for about 1 minute, until slightly mashed.
- Add the juice of 1 lime and a small pinch of cayenne. Turn on the food processor again and for about 2 minutes, until the avocado mixture is smooth. Taste the avocado mousse. Adjust with more salt, lime, or cayenne as desired.
- Using a serrated knife, slice off the top of the pastry puffs and remove a some of the soft middle.
- Stuff with mousse using a pastry bag or a large spoon.
- Layer with a cut piece of smoked salmon.
- Place top of puff back on, and enjoy!