Smoked Salmon & Avocado Benedict
1 pack Latitude 45 Cold Smoked Salmon Loin
4 slices wheat bread with oats
1 large ripe avocado, cut in half, pitted, and sliced
1 tbsp chopped basil, for garnish
For the hollandaise sauce:
7 tbsp unsalted butter
2 large egg yolks
3/4 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp white wine vinegar
For the poached eggs:
4 large eggs
1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
- Start with the hollandaise sauce. Melt the butter in a small pan. Meanwhile place the egg yolks in a heatproof bowl over a small pan of gently simmering water. Add the lemon juice and Dijon mustard, and whisk the eggs. While whisking, slowly add the melted butter into the egg mixture, stirring until well combined. Add a splash of water to loosen the sauce, if needed. Whisk in a splash of vinegar and season to taste. Turn the heat off and keep warm over the pan of water, stirring occasionally.
- Next, poach the eggs. Fill a small saucepan with 3-4 inches of cold water. Heat the water on high until it reaches a light simmer and small bubbles begin to form at the bottom of the pan. Stir in the vinegar.
- Crack the eggs, one at a time, into a small bowl or cup, preferably one with a spout. Place the bowl close to the surface of the simmering water and gently slip the egg into the pan. Add all of the eggs you are poaching into the pan, repeating the steps listed above, leaving a little space between each one. Cook the eggs for 4 minutes, or until the egg whites are completely cooked, but the yolks are still runny. Using a slotted spoon gently lift the poached eggs out of the pan and place them on a plate.
- Assemble the Benedict. Toast each slice of bread to your preference. Place two slices on a plate. Top each half with a few slices of avocado, two to three slices of smoked salmon, a poached egg, and dollop of hollandaise sauce. Repeat with the remaining ingredients on another plate.
- Garnish with chopped basil and enjoy!