Key Lime Basil Ice Cream topped with Smoked Salmon
6h 30 mins
1 pack Latitude 45 Cold Smoked Loin
5 egg yolks
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1.5 oz fresh basil leaves
Zest of one lime
8 Waffle cones
- Whisk together the egg yolks and sugar aggressively in a large bowl, until the mixture reaches the ribbon stage. The mixture should be thick and pale yellow.
- Combine the milk, cream, zest and vanilla in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat immediately, and temper it slowly into the egg mixture, whisking with your other hand.
- Return mixture to the saucepan and cook slowly over low heat until custard base thickens slightly and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from heat and continue to stir, over an ice bath, until cold.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil (the salt will keep the basil leaves very green). Blanch the basil leaves, drain over an ice bath, and squeeze out any excess moisture. Puree the basil leaves in a food processor and stir into the cooled ice cream base. Allow the mixture to infuse for several hours or overnight.
- Strain the ice cream base through a fine-meshed sieve to remove any larger pieces of basil leaves. Freeze the ice cream according to your ice cream maker’s directions.
- Place the ice cream in an airtight container and cover the surface with plastic wrap. Freeze for 4-6 hours or until firm.
- When serving, place one scoop of the ice cream on each waffle cone. Top with Latitude 45 Cold Smoked Loin and enjoy!